September 10, 2011

My new school - Al Mafraq Secondary School for Girls!


The first day I traveled to the school I had to go to the ADEC (Abu Dhabi Education Office) and get my official assignment, then went to meet teachers at the Inter Continental to make the trek together.  Then, I had a call from housing. LONG STORY, but now we are in flat 901!  The flat is a little smaller, but more than enough room for us.   The funny part of getting there is of course the language barrier and landmarks.  When you call, they say they are behind the El Sultan Bakery - not clarifying the new or old, it's the old.  Well, what is neglected in the conversation, it is more than 3/4 of a mile away.  Well, two hours later,  $180 dirhams ( about $50) later ( I know really cheap!) my taxi driver Asad found it! I saw the sign and he read the arabic words!  He is now our daily driver to work!


Al Mafraq is a secondary school, a high school for girls.
I am teaching high school sophomores. In the reform, they are
the only grade other than incoming kindergarten that have
had no introduction to formal english training.  I'm being tested!

High standards are set and will do my  best to meet them.
Have had nothing but gracious and warm greetings by staff.
Excited for the new year to start tomorrow with students. 

From the road you could only see the arabic part and luckily
Asad could translate!  Close up, it has an english sign as well. 

The school is large and has a private mosque, unusual for a
girls school.  We have projectors and were handed HP laptops
the first day.   EXCITING!  I also have my own classroom.

Girls mission statement:  Honesty, Respect, Faith and Trust.

Three Words:   I am READY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment